Friday, March 14, 2008

LIBRARY USE OF RSS FEEDS

In order to keep current, like many librarians I had all of the web sites that I visited daily bookmarked (about 50) in my browser at work and I would painstakingly visit each site throughout the day. Of course there were days that visiting each site was not possible (on very busy days I was lucky to get to one). And if three days went by without reading these favorites, I would get too bogged down trying to catch up. This was all before I was introduced to the wonderful world of RSS feeds. Now, I get almost all of the content I want from all of these sites delivered to one place as soon as the site is updated, saving precious time. The most amazing part is that I am notified when any of the sites I subscribe to are updated within minutes.
Patrons could use RSS feeds to keep up-to-date on their research results from PubMed.
They could also subscibe to RSS feeds on the journals that are of most interest to them.
Or, they could select a topic and get the most current information available through RSS feeds.

No comments: